Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Last day in the NICU

We were debating on whether to go home on Saturday the 25th and be with our kids since the nurses had told us that it would be several more weeks until Charlie would be able to go home.  Then we got this awesome older nurse who was all about getting babies home! Charlie pulled out his feeding tube and she said she wasn’t going to put it back in, just make him eat! It was so fun to finally see him without anything on his face.  He has the cutest little face and dimples that were hiding under all that tape!  IMG_6840bw

We decided that we would stay one more night in the hospital, then head home on Sunday to see Henry and Emma.  We had a great time that night, we went on a drive and got Krispy Kreme doughnuts and just sat in the car and talked. It was fun to have a sort of last date night before bringing the baby home.  

IMG_6827

IMG_6826bw

Well Sunday morning I called down to the NICU to see how he was doing and the nurse said “he can go home anytime you are ready.” “WHAT?!” I was shocked, he hadn’t had full feedings for 48 hours which was the rule about going home.  Apparently the nurse gets to have a say in when the babies can go home and since we had other children and had previously had a baby in the NICU she said she trusted us to feed him! We were so incredibly excited. IMG_6835

We quickly packed our room and headed to the church service there at the hospital for the last time.  We went to his 11am feeding and then packed him up to go home.  I wasn’t nearly as nervous about taking him home from the NICU as I had been with Henry.

IMG_6821_edited-1

Here he is just hanging out in his bed looking at his family-getting excited to go home!

IMG_6838bw

We had a great experience in this NICU, but we are so glad that it was short, and that it is over. 

4 comments:

Mike Draper said...

AWE....... I love all your new posts. He is so cute! I am so glad you are home and I cant wait to see little Charlie in person (as soon as he is fully better)

Love YA

Anonymous said...

that last one was totally not from mike but from me...

Jen said...

I love that you had your family picture in his "crib". That boy is truly lucky to have you and Jon as parents. Wow... I can't express to you how amazing you are. I hope you know it just a little bit. Love you!

Wendy P said...

I am so happy to see these pictures! He is so cute, and I can imagine how wonderful it was to have your family all under the same roof, and that roof is the one you call home. I hope your recovery and everything with a new baby go well. I know it can be overwhelming. He is so cute!